International Call for Grant Applications to attend the CIMAM 2021 Annual Conference
PR 18 June 2021
CIMAM offers around 40 grants to support the attendance of contemporary art curators and museum directors to CIMAM’s 2021 Annual Conference
- CIMAM opens registration to attend the 2021 Annual Conference and launches the Travel Grant Program for young curators and museum directors to attend this international congress for modern and contemporary art museum professionals, in person and online.
- This year's CIMAM Annual Conference is titled Under Pressure. Museums in Times of Xenophobia and Climate Emergency, and will be held in Lodz and Gdansk, Poland, November 5-7, 2021.
- CIMAM offers around 40 grants thanks to the generous support of The Getty Foundation, V-A-C Foundation, Byucksan Foundation, Mercedes Vilardell, and Garage Museum of Contemporary Art, to support the curatorial and research development of individuals through their attendance at the Annual Conference.
CIMAM is pleased to offer around 40 grants to support the attendance of contemporary art curators and museum directors to CIMAM’s 2021 Annual Conference titled Under Pressure. Museums in Times of Xenophobia and Climate Emergency that will be held in Lodz and Gdansk, Poland 5–7 November 2021.
The grants are generously supported by the Getty Foundation, V-A-C Foundation, Byucksan Foundation, Mercedes Vilardell, and Garage Museum of Contemporary Art and aim to support individuals’ curatorial and research development through their attendance at the Annual Conference, where the most current concerns on contemporary art practices are being discussed.
Awarded candidates benefit from unique networking opportunities through interaction and exchange with international museum directors and peers. Grant’s beneficiaries become Members of CIMAM for the membership term they have been awarded. Successful candidates can choose to attend in person or online.
The deadline has been extended to Wednesday 8 September at 00:00 CEST.
Who can apply for a grant?
Grants are restricted to modern and contemporary art museum or collection directors and curators in need of financial help to attend CIMAM’s Annual Conference.
Researchers and independent curators whose field of research and specialization is contemporary art theory, collections, and museums and most of their field of professional activity is related to the functions of an art museum, are also eligible.
Applicants should not be involved in any kind of commercial or for-profit activity.
While professionals of all career levels are encouraged to apply, priority is given to junior directors and curators (less than 10 years experience). Candidates who have previously received CIMAM grants from the same grant contributor may only be considered for a new grant after 3 years since the previous grant was awarded.
Eligible candidates should reside in any of the countries listed below:
- The Getty Foundation, Los Angeles
Supports professionals residing in countries with Emerging Market and Developing Economies according to the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook. Professionals from Iran, North Korea, Syria, the Crimea Region of Ukraine, and Cuba are not eligible due to US restrictions. Grants awarded by the Getty Foundation will be exclusively in virtual format. Grantees from 2019 and previous editions are also eligible.
- V-A-C Foundation, Moscow
Supports professionals residing in Russia and the countries of the former Soviet Union (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan).
- Byucksan Foundation, Seoul
Supports professionals residing in the Northeast Asia region (Republic of Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and Mongolia).
- Mercedes Vilardell, Mallorca/London
Supports professionals residing in the African continent who are not necessarily affiliated with a museum.
Supports directors, curators, and professionals of modern and contemporary art museums residing in Spain.
- Garage Museum of Contemporary Art
Supports professionals residing in the Eurasian Economic Union (Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Armenia).
Purpose of the Grant
The CIMAM Board and the executive team, the directors and staff of the museums hosting the upcoming CIMAM 2021 Annual Conference, and the invited speakers are very much looking forward to meeting you again in person.
The aim of the grant is to allow successful candidates to attend the CIMAM 2021 Annual Conference and access not only the speaker presentations but also all the activities scheduled during the 3-day conference such as the networking and workshops sessions, and the visits to the main contemporary art exhibitions in Lodz and Gdansk.
Successful candidates can choose to attend in person or online:
- For those attending in person: the grant will cover the conference registration fee*, travel expenses (round trip economy flight and train tickets), 4-night accommodation in one of the hotels recommended by CIMAM (check-in 4 y check-out 8 November 2021), profile at the Who is Who and full access to the online platform with chat and other interactive functionalities to connect with all conference attendees.
*Conference registration includes access to all conference sessions, lunches, dinners, access to organized visits, and coach service to and from planned visits.
The distribution of funds is set on a case-by-case basis for each recipient. CIMAM books and pre-pays all expenses directly (travel and accommodation) avoiding reimbursements to any grantee. Funds do not cover transportation to/from the airport, visa expenses, travel insurance, and registration to the optional conference tours.
- For those attending online: the grant covers the registration fee which consists of access to all speaker presentations and Q&A, access to the networking session and both workshops, access to virtual visits to the main exhibitions in Lodz and Gdansk, profile at the Who is Who and full access to the online platform with chat and other interactive functionalities to connect with all conference attendees.
Candidates are invited to complete an online application form and include a CV and short résumé, a motivation statement, and two letters of recommendation by professionals or scholars who are familiar with the candidate's qualifications.
Important: Members of CIMAM (2020-22) and professionals previously awarded by the Getty Foundation are exempt from providing 2 letters of recommendation, but the names of 2 referees.
The deadline has been extended to Wednesday 8 September at 00:00 CEST.
Grant applications are evaluated and conferred by CIMAM’s Travel Grant Committee, composed of members of the CIMAM Board, and the Travel Grant Funder.
Grants are conferred based on the assessment of the candidate’s genuine financial need, the potential benefit to his/her development and/or research, and the relevance of field experience in relation to the objectives of CIMAM.
When accepting the grant, each successful candidate is invited to submit an online acceptance form and to agree to the grant’s Terms and Conditions.