CIMAM opens registration and launches the Travel Grant Program for 2021 Annual Conference
- This year's CIMAM Annual Conference is titled Under Pressure. Museums in Times of Xenophobia and Climate Emergency, and will be held in Lodz and Gdansk, Poland, November 5-7, 2021.
- CIMAM offers around 40 grants thanks to the generous support of The Getty Foundation, V-A-C Foundation, Byucksan Foundation, Mercedes Vilardell, and Garage Museum of Contemporary Art, to support the curatorial and research development of individuals through their attendance at the Annual Conference.
While the pandemic appears to be the most pressing challenge today, it is merely a vector of more global political and environmental changes. CIMAM conference will address the roles of artists and museums in this dramatically changing global situation.
Keynote speakers and relevant case-study presentations will show how institutions, artists, and thinkers working together can provide practical laboratories concerning these emerging issues and offer methodological tools to combat discriminatory and nationalistic tendencies in an increasingly divisive and divided world.
The CIMAM 2021 Annual Conference offers three days of presentations on the most pressing issues facing the contemporary art museum sector, a networking session, and two discussion workshops as well as visits to the most relevant contemporary art venues in Lodz and Gdansk. A great opportunity to strengthen networking in a professional environment that promotes new projects and connections.
List to invited speakers
Day 1: Conflicts, Crises, and the Politics of Growth
Day 2: Museums as Spaces for Recognizing Differences
Day 3: New Perspectives on Climate and Commonality
We encourage all curators and directors of modern and contemporary art museums to register for the CIMAM 2021 Annual Conference. It will be an excellent opportunity to reconnect and reflect on how to tackle and manage these pressing issues that, as museum professionals, we have a social responsibility to address.
Book your ticket to attend in person or online.
This CIMAM Annual Conference has been thought and organized by members of the Board of CIMAM and both hosting museums:
From the CIMAM Board:
- Malgorzata Ludwisiak (Chair), Independent Art Critic, Curator, Ph.D, Warsaw.
- Saskia Bos Independent Curator and Critic, Amsterdam.
- Victoria Noorthoorn, Director, Museo de Arte Moderno de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires.
- Agustín Pérez-Rubio, Independent Curator
- Eugene Tan, Director, National Gallery Singapore and The Singapore Art Museum, Singapore.
From the hosting museums in Lodz and Gdansk:
- Daniel Muzyczuk, Head of Modern Art Department, Muzeum Sztuki, Lodz.
- Jaroslaw Suchan, Director, Muzeum Sztuki in Lodz, Lodz.
- Aneta Szylak, Curator, NOMUS New Art Museum/ Branch of the National Museum, Gdansk.
International Call for Grant Applications to attend the CIMAM 2021 Annual Conference
We are looking to award around 40 candidates to attend the CIMAM Annual Conference.
The Travel Grant Program is an initiative that CIMAM proposes each year for young professionals working in modern and contemporary art museums from emerging and developing countries to attend the CIMAM Annual Conference and strengthen their networks and enrich their research through their participation at the three-day conference consisting of debates, exhibition visits, workshops and working groups offered by this renowned industry event.
Awarded candidates benefit from unique networking opportunities through interaction and exchange with international museum directors and peers. Grant’s beneficiaries become Members of CIMAM for the membership term they have been awarded. Successful candidates can choose to attend in person or online.
Grants are generously supported by The Getty Foundation, V-A-C Foundation, Byucksan Foundation, Mercedes Vilardell, and Garage Museum of Contemporary Art.
The deadline to apply is 22 August 2021 at 18:00 CEST.
→ CIMAM 2021 Annual Conference
→ Questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
→ Who can apply for a grant?
Grants are restricted to modern and contemporary art museum or collection directors and curators in need of financial help to attend CIMAM’s Annual Conference.
Researchers and independent curators whose field of research and specialization is contemporary art theory, collections and museums and most of their field of professional activity is related to the functions of an art museum, are also eligible. Applicants should not be involved in any kind of commercial or for-profit activity.
→ Purpose of the Grant
The aim of the grant is to allow successful candidates to attend the CIMAM 2021 Annual Conference and access not only the speaker presentations but also all the activities scheduled during the 3-day conference such as the networking and workshops sessions, and the visits to the main contemporary art exhibitions in Lodz and Gdansk.
Successful candidates can choose to attend in person or online:
- For those attending in person: the grant will cover the conference registration fee*, travel expenses (round trip economy flight and train tickets) 4-night accommodation in one of the hotels recommended by CIMAM (check-in 4 y check-out 8 November 2021) and profile at the "Who is Who" and full access to the online platform with chat and other interactive functionalities to connect with all conference attendees.
- For those attending online: the grant covers the registration fee which consists of access to all speaker presentations and Q&A, access to the networking session and both workshops, access to virtual visits to the main exhibitions in Lodz and Gdansk, profile at the "Who is Who" and full access to the online platform with chat and other interactive functionalities to connect with all conference attendees.
→ Apply until 22 August 2021
Candidates are invited to complete an online application form and include a CV and short résumé, a motivation statement and two letters of recommendation by professionals or scholars who are familiar with the candidate's qualifications.
The deadline to apply is 22 August 2021 at 18:00 CEST.
→ Selection Process
Grant applications are evaluated and conferred by CIMAM’s Travel Grant Committee, composed by members of the CIMAM Board, and the Travel Grant Funder.
Grants are conferred based on the assessment of the candidate’s genuine financial need, the potential benefit to his/her development and/or research and the relevance of field experience in relation to the objectives of CIMAM.
→ Travel Grant Calendar
- July – 22 August 2021: Open call for travel grants.
- 1 – 15 September: Inform successful candidates and organize travels.
- End of September: Announce the names of the beneficiaries.
- 5 – 7 November: CIMAM 2021 Annual Conference.
- 30 November: Deadline for beneficiaries to submit their reports to CIMAM.
→ Travel Grant Funders