Grazer Kunstverein is seeking an Artistic Director
Grazer Kunstverein is an internationally renowned exhibition space for contemporary art. Founded in 1986, Grazer Kunstverein has established a distinctive voice within Austria, operating in strong dialogue with international developments in contemporary art and culture. Conceived as a space for artistic production, exhibition-making and mediation, we work with artists from all over the world with the aim of nurturing and empowering recent and compelling artistic positions, while facilitating a depth of engagement with processes of artistic practice.
Over the past four years, under the directorship of Kate Strain, Grazer Kunstverein has developed a practice-based approach, inviting international artists to locate the production of new work in Graz, engaging with multiple publics and supporting the development of original, ambitious and often performative artistic projects. Strain has commissioned new work and presented projects by artists including Alma Heikkilä, Emma Wolf-Haugh, Tai Shani, Riccardo Giacconi, Fiston Mwanza Mujila, Fahim Amir, Simnikiwe Buhlungu, Sylvia Schedelbauer, Triple Candie, Mehraneh Atashi, Angelika Loderer, Dennis McNulty, Anne Tallentire, Nadia Belerique, Christian Nyampeta, Cesare Pietroiusti, Carl Johan Högberg, Niamh O'Malley, Emily Mast, Ola Vasiljeva, Isabel Nolan, Isabella Kohlhuber, Fiona Hallinan, Edward Clydesdale Thomson, Ruth E. Lyons, Chris Evans, Morten Norbye Halvorsen and others. The upcoming artistic program for 2021 includes new commissions by Bianca Baldi, Elisabeth von Samsonow, Aimée Zito Lema and Becket MWN.
Strain will be leaving her position as Artistic Director at the end of September 2021 and we are now searching for her successor, effective October 1, 2021. We are looking for a creative candidate who will assume responsibility for artistic and curatorial leadership in close collaboration with the administrative management of Grazer Kunstverein.
Requirements for this position are:
- a degree in art history or similar qualifications and experience working in and with contemporary art
- acquaintance with digital media and good knowledge of the implementation of digital content
- management experience in the professional art exhibition context, including personnel management
- strong communication and mediation skills and the ability to run a complex institution responsibly, efficiently and strategically
- experience in securing project-specific, third-party funding as well as business management skills including budget planning and monitoring
- keen interest in the arts and culture scene of Graz and its region and a willingness to cooperate with other institutions
- a vision for the future program of Grazer Kunstverein
This is a full-time position. Essential to this position is a permanent place of residence in Graz. Spoken and written German is preferred but not obligatory. Grazer Kunstverein welcomes applications from all eligible candidates but would like to particularly encourage applications from a diversity of national, ethnic, minority and cultural backgrounds.
We look forward to receiving your CV and motivation letter by February 28, 2021. Please send it to Dr. Tanja Gurke: firstname.lastname@example.org
Grazer Kunstverein is structurally supported by the city of Graz, the Federal Ministry of art, culture, public service and sport, the province of Styria, legero united – the shoemakers | con-tempus.eu, and its members.