Sudden Beams - Call for proposals from Curators
About Sudden Beams
Sudden Beams is a curatorial project to support and increase visibility of South Asian artists working with digital and creative media. By providing opportunities to exhibit work and engage with new audiences. Sudden Beams will support a programme of events, including a call for proposals from curators to develop project ideas and a touring programme of work by artists from South Asia.
The open call
Platform Asia will support two curators to research and develop project ideas, which include work by South Asian artists working with sound and digital media. We are looking for ideas that explore contemporary culture, which can also expand our understanding and knowledge of South Asian creativity and practice. Selected curatorial ideas will have the opportunity to explore how to develop their research ideas into realisable projects in the future.
We particularly welcome proposals from applicants with diverse backgrounds.
What we are offering through this opportunity
- £2,000 – includes fee, travel, production and materials (fee is inclusive of all taxes) to support a period of research and development over one or two months period from Jan 2021(negotiable).
- An opportunity to present your research on our website.
- Administration and marketing support from us.
- Professional fundraising advice and support.
- Opportunity to deliver the project in our programme.
- Networking opportunity with our artists and partners.
- Be a practising curator, with previous experience of working with sound and digital artists in all or part of their practice.
- Based in England (i.e. have an address in the country).
- Have demonstrable career experience as a practising curator.
- Have curated and delivered public programmes within the last three years.
- Have an interest in UK and international South Asian arts and culture.
Submit your proposal by 5pm, 2 Dec 2020.
To apply, visit http://platformasia.org.uk/sudden-beams-open-call/ for all information about the opportunity.
About Platform Asia
Platform Asia supports and promotes Asian contemporary art by providing opportunities for artists with Asian heritage based both in the UK and internationally. We do this by delivering artistic programmes and developing networks between UK and Asian organisations who are interested in working with Asian art and artists.
Sudden Beams is produced by Platform Asia. Supported by Arts Council England.