Save the date for CIMAM 2024
At the end of a very successful 55th CIMAM Annual Conference in Buenos Aires attended by 250 contemporary art museum directors and curators from all over the world, the Board of CIMAM announced at the CIMAM General Assembly the next destination for the CIMAM Annual Conference which will be held in Los Angeles from December 6th to 8th, 2024.
The 56th CIMAM Annual Conference will be held in Los Angeles from December 6th to 8th, 2024. This will be the second time the conference is held in the city, the first being 34 years ago in 1990.
The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), and the Hammer Museum will jointly host the event, giving attendees an excellent opportunity to discover the city's exceptional contemporary art history, diverse culture, and vibrant artistic landscape.
“We are delighted to host CIMAM's 2024 Annual Conference in Los Angeles, a city with a rich contemporary art history and a dynamic cultural scene. As a pan-American, trans-Pacific city, Los Angeles embodies diversity and vitality, shaped by its diasporic roots. With the 2028 Olympic Games on the horizon, the city's cultural projects and infrastructure developments create a compelling backdrop for global discussions.” Declares Clara Kim, Chief Curator and Director of Curatorial Affairs at The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, and Board Member of CIMAM and Chair of CIMAM’s Annual Contents Committee.
The collaboration between The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), and the Hammer Museum, three prominent contemporary art institutions in Los Angeles, presents a unique opportunity for the local art community to address pressing issues and outline future directions in the field.
CIMAM's 2024 Conference will align with PST Art: Art x Science Collide, an initiative of Getty with arts organizations across Southern California presenting thematically linked exhibitions and public programs. PST ART will delve into intersections of art and science, with diverse organizations presenting on topics like ancient cosmologies, Indigenous sci-fi, environmental justice, artificial intelligence. The Getty Foundation will generously be the main supporter for this upcoming edition of the CIMAM Annual Conference.
The CIMAM 2024 Annual Conference is being thought and designed by the Content Steering Committee consisting of:
- Clara Kim (Chair of the Contents Committee), Chief Curator and Director of Curatorial Affairs, The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles.
- Suzanne Cotter, Director, Museum of Contemporary Art Australia, Sydney.
- Joselina Cruz, Director/Curator, Museum of Contemporary Art and Design (MCAD) Manila.
- Amanda de la Garza, Director, Museo Universitario de Arte Contemporáneo (MUAC), Mexico City.
- Rita Gonzalez, Terri and Michael Smooke Curator and Department Head Contemporary Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), Los Angeles.
- Aram Moshayedi, Interim Chief Curator, Hammer Museum, Los Angeles.
- Kitty Scott, Independent Curator, Toronto.