Open Call: SAC International Curatorial Residency Program 2021
SAC International Curatorial Residency Program 2021 is the residency program at Barcelona’s Sant Andreu Contemporani, in collaboration with Fabra i Coats – Fàbrica de Creació and Institut Ramon Llull, available to international curators. As part of the program, we are announcing an open call for proposals to choose an international curator who will be part of the Miquel Casablancas Prize for the Visual Arts’ jury in 2021, and will later develop a curatorial project with a selection of catalan artists chosen from applicants to the prize. The project must be presented at the country of residence of the curator or in another international venue that she/he decides. The residency covers the expenses of jurying the prize and for the curatorial proposal (1,700 € subject to applicable taxes), for the production of the exhibition (2,000 € subject to applicable taxes), accommodation and travel.
The purpose of the open call is to offer the curator personal knowledge of the art context through involvement in the jury of the Miquel Casablancas Prize, and to foster, in the context of young art talent, future international collaborations between local and foreign cultural actors.
- The selected curator will be a member of the 2021 Miquel Casablancas Prize for the Visual Art’s jury. She or he will take also part in the decision process and will develop a curatorial project with a selection of four Catalan artists or linked to the Catalan context, applicants to the prize. An honorary of 1,700 € (subject to applicable taxes) is reserved for this purpose.
- The curator will be provided with a working space at Barcelona’s Fabra i Coats – Fàbrica de Creació the month of April, 2021. Access hours are: Monday to Fridays from 9:00am to 10:00pm, and Saturdays from 10:00am to 9:00pm. The curator can extend her/his stay another month. She/he can continue using the assigned space but will not receive more remuneration than agreed.
- The working space is situated on the first floor of Barcelona’s Fabra i Coats – Fabrica de Creació and a Wi-Fi connection is fully available.
- The curator will have a budget of 1,000 € (subject to applicable taxes) for her/his accommodation expenses for the month of April. In no case, the expenses of public transport (taxi, bus …) and diets are covered.
- The curatorial project must be included in the exhibition program of Sant Andreu Contemporani. For this purpose, the curator will have at her/his disposition a production fund of 2,000 € (subject to applicable taxes).
- The curatorial project must be presented in the country of residence of the selected curator or in another country with which she/he has links. To fulfil this requirement is essential that the curator submits documentation about the venue, center or gallery where the works will be later presented, and the agreements reached with the head in charge of the institution. The project must be developed during a month between 06.15.2021 and 12.10.2021.
- Depending on the situation derived from the COVID-19 pandemic, the residence, the studio visits with the artists and the formalization of the exhibition may be altered. If the project cannot be presented at the chosen exhibition venue, Sant Andreu Contemporani will provide all the facilities to carry it out electronically.
- The production fund will be available only at the starting of the exhibition.
- The curator must be available to attend, in her/his work space, those meetings with artists, curators, critics and other relevant figures of the contemporary visual arts that are programed by SAC’s managing team.
- Fabra i Coats – Fabrica de Creació shall not be held responsible for any loss of personal property nor be liable to third party damages as consequence of the development of the residency.
- It is essential that the curator knows Spanish or Catalan.
- The winner must be aware of the fulfillment of the tax obligations and with the Social Security imposed by the current provisions and not have any debt with the Barcelona City Council.
The application process will be all completed through the website: www.santandreucontemporani.org
All interested applicants must fill the submission form available at the website above with the following information:
- Contact information
- Cove letter
- Statement of intent (describing the curator’s interests)
- Curriculum vitae and portfolio of previous curatorial projects
- Documentation related to the applicant’s chosen exhibition venue at her or his country of residence
- Agreements reached with the head in charge of the chosen institution at the applicant’s country of residence, including the dates of the exhibition.
The Selection Committee:
A selection committee comprised of Eva Sòria Puig (Institut Ramon Llull), Joana Hurtado Matheu (Fàbrica de Creació – Centre d’Art Contemporani Fabra i Coats) and the full managing team of Sant Andreu Contemporani (Jordi Pino, director; and Zaida Trallero and Pablo G. Polite, curators) will choose a curator among all the applicants. If any member of the committee can not attend the deliberation, she/he must delegate the vote to someone else who represents her/him.
- Innovation and originality both in the conceptual approach and in the formalization of the project.
- Quality and creativity of the project.
- Professional career of the curator.
- Project viability.
- Relevance of the exhibition venue receiving the project (art center, hall, gallery, museum …).
The commission may declare the open call void if considers that none of the projects presented has the characteristics or sufficient means to enjoy the residence and make the exhibition.
The registration period to send the application is going to be from October 1st, 2020, to February 1st, 2021. The submission form will be available at the website until midnight, February 1st, 2021. No applications will be accepted after this time. In case of incidents with the online registration, the required documents should then be sent by mail before midnight, February 1st, 2021.
The selected applicant will be announced on the website (santandreucontemporani.org) on February 25th, 2021.
Submitting the application implies the acceptance of these requirements.
T. 93 311 99 53