Gangwon Triennale: Call for an Artistic Director of inaugural edition
The GT organizing committee is scheduled to select an artistic director for the 1st Gangwon Triennale through open recruitment alongside the candidate recommendation. The GT selection committee which is composed of artistic directors and curators who are currently active in their chosen field will choose the most qualified candidates based upon their experiences of planning and curating exhibitions both at home and abroad. The committee will complete the selection of an artistic director for the 1st Gangwon Triennale by August 2019 and will begin its preparations for the Gangwon Triennale in earnest.
The Deadline to submit resumes and applications is 24 July 2019. For consideration, please submit a resume and completed application by email gwibnews [at] naver.com
- Those who are equipped with the capability and will to embody their profound understanding of the identity of Gangwon through the international exhibition and event.
- As professionals in visual art and public art (art, architecture, design and others), those with experiences for international exhibition planning.
- (Preferred) Those who have obtained recommendations from those whose work titles are the dean or higher of cultural universities.
- Capability of and commitment to the exhibitions that embody the identity, history, culture, and future of the Gangwon Triennale and Gangwon Province.
- Understanding of and expertise in contemporary art and the ability to communicate effectively with the artists and related experts.
- Possess a high level of understanding of the art triennale system and experience with curating either a biennale, a triennale or exhibitions on an international scale and of roughly the equivalent character and content.
Major Responsibilities include
- Plan all of the exhibitions, activities and events of the 1st Gangwon Triennale(GT).
- Establish strong working relationships with the exhibiting artists.
- Seek out new partnerships and collaborations with other organizations, both on a local and international basis.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local artists, galleries, and other arts institutions.
- Promote GT and publicize its activities, etc.
For detailed information, please click here.
About Gangwon Triennale(GT/Gangwon International Art Festival)
The Gangwon Triennale (GT/Gangwon International Art Festival) is the only Nomadic Triennale among the art exhibitions in South Korea. It aims to create and share artworks that can only be expressed within Gangwon Province by utilizing the culture, history and landscape of 18 cities and counties in Gangwon Province, and to add a depth of experience and exchanges with residents as well as an appreciation of the works of art in nature. It seeks an engagement with various art forms and experiences and the alternative methods of knowledge production and distribution. Also, the GT seeks to support local and regional contemporary artists and facilitate the creation and realization of projects as well as forge interaction.
About Gangwon Province
Gangwon Province, which hosted the 2018 Winter Olympics and the 2018 Winter Paralympics, is known as South Korea's largest mountain region located in the central area of the Korean Peninsula. There you will find the largest mountain range in the country, the Taebaek Mountains, and also East sea, the bluish sea on the right side of the country. The northern border is the DMZ (Demilitarized zone) separated from North Korea's Gangwon. It currently consists of 18 cities and counties. The total area of Gangwon Province is 16,873.51 square kilometers with a population of about 1,600,000.