Decolonisation in the 2020s: An Online Symposium
Since 2017, MASP and Afterall, a research and publishing organisation based at Central Saint Martins, UAL, have been working together to explore practices that question and critique colonial legacies in contemporary artmaking, curation, teaching and critical art writing. We now join with UAL’s Decolonising Arts Institute and Goldsmiths Department of Visual Cultures to explore the key stakes of decolonisation in the 2020s, and the problematics of attempting to do so within and through institutions.
Join us for live online discussions with artists, activists, academics and art workers, each centred on a specific site of struggle, taking place throughout the month of March:
- Tuesday 9 March, 6pm GMT – The Museum, with Victoria Noorthoorn and Elvira Espejo Ayca
- Tuesday 16 March, 6pm GMT – Gender, with Danielle Brathwaite-Shirley and Yuderkys Espinosa Miñoso
- Tuesday 23 March, 6pm GMT – Publishing, with Margarida Waco and Diego del Valle Ríos
- Thursday 25 March, 6pm GMT – The University with Rahul Rao and Osmundo Pinho
- Tuesday 30 March, 6pm GMT – Artmaking with Rachael Minott and Rosana Paulino
Written and visual contributions from each speaker will be published in February on Afterall Art School in English, and in Portuguese on the MASP website.