A warm welcome to Dominik Kurylek to CIMAM!
"As a professional curator and long-term worker of museums, I would like to develop my knowledge about museums, archives, collections around the world. I am interested in international collaboration with other curators, archivists and collectors. Being a member of the CIMAM global institution gathered professionals from many different fields and organizations will help me to achieve my goals."
Dominik Kurylek, PhD, Head of Photography and Photographic Technique Department, Museum of Photography in Krakow, Krakow, Poland
Dominik Kurylek studied Art History at the Jagiellonian University, and holds a Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD);
Doctoral thesis written under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Hab. Wojciech Bałus, entitled: "On Modernity’s Margins. Nihilism in Polish Art of the 20th Century" [reviewers: Prof. Piotr Piotrowski (UAM}, Prof. Maria Hussakowska (UJ)] defended on the 29th of May 2014.
Exhibitions curated in the past 5 years
- "What Does a Photograph Do?" Permanent exhibition in Museum of Photography in Krakow, opening on 2022
- Przemysław Branas "I Is Somebody Else", Centrala Gallery, Birmingham (UK), 28 June –11 August 2019
- Anca Benera and Arnold Estefan "Ground Control", Centrala Gallery, Birmingham (UK), 3 January – 31 March 2018.
Publications in catalogues, essays, online platforms in the past 5 years
- Teatr transgeneracyjnej wspólnoty Leokadii Serafinowicz [w:] Lalki: teatr, film, polityka, red. J Kordjak, K. Kopania, Warszawa 2019;
- The Modern Spider Web in the Art Museum, "TEXTILE Cloth and Culture", Volume 16, 2018 - Issue 4: Magdalena Abakanowicz: Recollections
- Nihilizm Jacka Kryszkowskiego [w:] Kości wszystkich ludzi, kat. wyst., Toruń 2017.
Niewidzialność Jacka Kryszkowskiego [w:] Impuls dadaistyczny w polskiej sztuce i literaturze dwudziestowiecznej, red. P. Kurc-Maj, P. Polit, Muzeum Sztuki w Łodzi, 2017.
CIMAM – International Committee for Museums and Collections of Modern Art – is an Affiliated Organization of ICOM.* Founded in 1962, CIMAM’s vision is a world where the contribution of museums, collections, and archives of modern and contemporary art to the cultural, social, and economic well-being of society is recognized and respected.
Join today, and take part in our network with more than 600 contemporary art museum professionals from 86 countries.
Thank you Dominik Kurylek for becoming a member of CIMAM!