International Open Call for Art Critic/ Curator residencies on the French Rivera
OPEN CALL – SEASON #5
During Summer 2019, thankyouforcoming launches an international call for applications for 2 art critics and/or curators. Other projects will directly be invited by the association for this fifth season. These residencies allow the applicants to discover the French Riviera area's contemporary art scene, to develop their research work and to participate in a new network. The purpose of thankyouforcoming's residencies is to foster links and collaborations between its local art ecosystem and international artists, curators, art critics, institutions, galleries etc at an international scale.
ACROSS is a collaborative, participatory and experimental project which aims to:
- Introduce residents to the local artistic scenes and their territories, fostering inter-disciplinary exchanges,
- Enable the hosts to meet the cultural operators and visit the highlights of the area as well as its alternative scenes, through a close collaboration with artists, researchers, thinkers, museums, art centers, galleries, academic institutions,
- Invite to reflect on and offer innovative critical approaches to projects developed in Nice and suburb, as well as in the associated towns (Mouans-Sartoux, Antibes, Cannes, Vence, Monaco etc),
- Counter-balance the logic of centralisation and rebalance the power relations between Paris and the French provinces, centre and suburbs, local and global, national and international,
- Devise a new operational tool for research, prospection and transmission through the mobility of its actors and spreading of the contents,
- Provide a framework allowing for the mobility of curators and critics, and make it visible,
- Offer the possibility to frame a specific work or deepen a line of research, and provide assistance in research,
- Create opportunities for meetings, initiate and enable an environment for exchanges and discussions to foster common experiments in various disciplinary fields,
- Develop efficient collaborative networks between worldwide professionals and local residents, and operate as a professional exchange resource in order to support internationalization of the local art ecosystem.
TERMS OF THE RESIDENCY
- 1 opportunity for a 7-day residency is available for each resident, between January and April 2020 (choice of the week to be decided between thankyouforcoming and the selected candidates).
- Thankyouforcoming provides a 40m2 fully equipped apartment in the center of Nice (port area).
- Return travel expenses refunded (subject to the provision of receipts) up to EUR 250 for each residency.
- A total grant of EUR 250 is offered for 7 days.
- We are at the disposal of the resident, before and during the residency period, to facilitate contacts and organise visits and meetings with artists, institutions, curators, collectors, galleries, museums etc. on the French Riviera (Nice, Monaco, Mouans-Sartoux, Antibes, Cannes, Vence etc). The resident is committed to respect the agreed schedule with thankyouforcoming.
- The resident is requested to propose a public event during his or her stay. Designed in advance of the residency, it will be developed with the support (intellectual, logistical and financial) of thankyouforcoming. The shape of this event is open, examples include: a reading session, lecture, presentation of research in progress, exhibition, walk, screening session etc. The content and the form of this public event should be defined with and approved by thankyouforcoming at least 60 days prior to the residency period. A record of the residency and this event in particular will be posted on our website. Fee: 100€ VAT, subject to the provision of invoice.
APPLICANT PROFILE ACROSS's residency programme is opened to all individuals, French or foreigners, who have curating and/or art critic experience. The candidate must be particularly involved in a research area around the renewal of critical and curatorial practices and develop a particular interest in action research. Motivated, enthusiastic, independent. Team applications are subjected to the same conditions, to be shared. Language: French or English.
Deadline: Sunday 15 September 2019, until midnight.
Request for further information to be sent by e-mail to : Claire Migraine /email@example.com
It is recommended that unselected candidates wait another season (2 years) before applying again.
Selection is performed by a jury of professionals, their decision is final.
To apply, please send us the following documents (in French or English) in one PDF file (vertical, A4 format, 5 Mo maximum) via e-mail to:firstname.lastname@example.org: