Call for emerging curators. Art Space Pythagorion, Greece
ART SPACE PYTHAGORION – Curatorial Residency 2019
Exhibition 13,700,000 km3 at Art Space Pythagorion, Samos, Greece
Curated by Katerina Gregos
August 4 – September 30
Opening: August 3
The curatorial residency supported by the Schwarz Foundation at their venue Art Space Pythagorion on the island of Samos is an opportunity for emerging curatorial professionals to gain experience in the day-to-day running of an existing exhibition.
Residents are offered full accommodation in the Art Space, where the Foundation's exhibitions take place, creating a vibrant living and working community. Residents will actively interact with the curatorial team and the artists during the installation of the exhibition. They will be provided an extensive briefing on the exhibition concept, curatorial practices adopted and the artists' intentions. At the start of the program, residents assist with the organisation of the opening and public program activities. Responsibilities include: distributing promotional materials, approaching local community members to publicize the show, assisting artists as they prepare for installing or realising their works, giving guided tours of the exhibition to visitors and aiding with mediation. Once the exhibition is running, residents are in charge of the mediation of the exhibition, taking care of the operation of the space and being the public face of the exhibition. Each resident works daily shifts in the exhibition space to sell tickets, track visitor demographics, make information easily accessible to visitors, and feed/ update social media. Audience engagement is hugely important, so the willingness to freely and confidently interact with the public is necessary. Beyond these basic duties, residents will give regular guided tours of the exhibition and should be comfortable with public speaking and some improvisation. A lot of effort should be put into developing a confident engagement with the local community, and critically engaging with the Art Space and its environment. Initiatives for engaging local audiences are appreciated.
The curatorial residency is open to curators who have up to 3 years of professional experience in the field.
To apply, please send a motivation letter and a biography to Adelheid von Soden: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Time Period: July 31 – October 20
OPTION 1 - Full time: July 31 – September 30
OPTION 2 - Full time + Educational Program: July 30 – October 20
- The Residents will be supervised by Ioli Tzanetaki, assistant curator of the exhibition and Katerina Gregos, curator of the Schwarz Foundation.
- Adelheid von Soden is coordinating between the residents and the Schwarz Foundation;
- Katerina Zacharopoulou trains residents on the educational program.
- Sergios Zalmas manages affairs on Samos (transportation, housing, translation, office hours, etc.)
- Working hours: The residents need to make sure that there are guided tours offered at the Art Space 8h/per day (they can do them in different shifts); additionally, they should help with the installation of the exhibition and they are obliged to participate in the events organized by the curator (opening, discussions with the artists, educational program etc.). The residents are responsible to overlook the maintaining of the exhibition and the venue. The shifts are organised by Ioli Tzanetaki in such a way that each resident has one day off per week.
- Each Curatorial Resident should hand in a short essay at the end of their residency
FULL TIME: 1.500 € - excl. taxes
FULL TIME + Educational Program: 2.075 - € excl. taxes
Occurring taxes are covered by the foundation
Transportation to and from Samos are covered by the foundation,
Each curatorial resident has their own room and bathroom (no guests allowed because of security reasons), a shared kitchen (incl. washing machine), Wi-Fi, etc.