(full-time, Hong Kong-based)
The Head of Research is responsible for articulating and strengthening AAA’s role as a platform for new research, knowledge, and ideas. The Head of Research works with the Director to set research and content priorities in line with AAA’s vision and the wider context of the field, while driving projects against this framework. The individual builds AAA’s networks, engages leading professionals, and expands and sustains institutional partnerships. As a key voice within the arts community, the Head of Research takes a macro view of the field and develops innovative approaches to strengthen ‘research infrastructures’, including research grants and tools. In addition, the Head of Research helps the Executive Director to develop long-term organisational strategies, including budgeting, to strengthen the team and institution.
The Head of Research manages AAA’s team of Researchers in offices in Hong Kong, Shanghai, and New Delhi. The Research team collects, creates, and shares material aligned with AAA content priorities and generates propositions through writing and participation in workshops and symposia.
Qualifications of the Ideal candidate:
• Minimum 8 years experience working in academia in art history, or other relevant disciplines, and/or conducting research in a cultural institution;
• Post-graduate degree or equivalent;
• Experienced in presenting to external audiences;
• Strong networks in art history academia and cultural institutions;
• Experienced in managing a team, timelines, and budgeting;
• Fluency in English and ideally one other Asian language;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Ability to lead a team and multi-task;
• Shares knowledge and research generously.
About Asia Art Archive
Art is knowledge. Asia Art Archive is a catalyst for new ideas that enrich our understanding of the world through the collection, creation, and sharing of knowledge around recent art in Asia.
Asia Art Archive is an independent non-profit organisation initiated in 2000 in response to the urgent need to document and make accessible the multiple recent histories of art in the region. With one of the most valuable collections of material on art freely available from its website and onsite library, AAA builds tools and communities to collectively expand knowledge through research, residency, and educational programmes.
→ Full Job Description
→ To apply, please send before 31 March 2017 a CV, cover letter including expected salary, and two writing samples to email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.